Tuesday, February 12, 2013

GAY-NECK The Story of a Pigeon

I found this book GAY-NECK The Story of a Pigeon by Dhan Gopal Mukerji and illustrated by Boris Artzybasheff at the library the other day. I was drawn to the decorative cover. It was first published in1927 by Dutton Children's Books. It has beautifully ornate illustrations inside. I was puzzled by the title, why a pigeon would be named "Gay-neck", but it is a translation because Gay-neck is from India. His name was Chitra-griva; Chitra meaning "painted in gay colors," and Griva, "neck". Sometimes he was called "Iridescence-throated."




I only had time to skim some, but it looks like a great read, lots of adventure.











I am also drawn to these because I have been thinking I need to work more on the balance of my compositions, the balance of dark and light.

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! BTW, I pinned your Canoe on my Pinterest board. Hope that's ok :)

    ReplyDelete